Nothing makes a place feel like home more than furry friends; with the increase in the number of expats coming to Dubai, there has been a consequent increase in the number of pets that accompany them, whether from their home countries or those adopted from shelters and kennels. Since yearly trips home or vacations are commonplace for most expats living here, there is great demand for a pet care service that will look after pets and provide a safe environment for them when their owners are away. To service this increasing need, a number of dog kennels have opened up for business, ensuring owners a safe, caring and healthy environment in which to leave their pets during travel.
While there are quite a few kennels that provide this service, pet owners want to ensure that their beloved pet is safe and well taken care of when they are out of town. A few things to look out for prior to selecting a kennel are listed below:
- Visit the kennel and talk to the staff before making your decision. A visit can allow owners to see how staff deal with pets in their care and to inspect the kennel itself to make sure it is clean and well maintained. It is also an opportunity to observe how many pets the kennel cares for at any given time to ensure that it is not overcrowded. Keep in mind that summer holidays, namely the months of July and August, are likely to be the busiest as this is peak holidays season for Dubai expats.
- A kennel with a yard is a definite plus as dogs, especially larger dogs, need space for exercise and the streets of Dubai are not the safest place to walk a dog.
- If your pet has any dietary restrictions make sure to bring this to the attention of the kennel staff. Ask about meals and food to ensure that your pet will get the best care possible.
- Ask about staff training. It is always good for owners to know that staff are trained to take care of pets left in their care. With several animals in one location, there is bound to be unpredictable behavior from some of these pets, particularly those with aggression issues.
- Finally, once you are satisfied with the services of the pet care facility, take into consideration whether staff go the extra mile in caring for the animals. As important as quality care and cleanliness is, the occasional cuddle or playing with pets can make a lonely pet feel happier and more loved than a clean environment without personal attention. When you visit the kennel, look for signs that the staff does more than just their designated duty; a hug, cuddle or a little play time can go a long way in alleviating the stress pets face when away from home.
Based on the tips above, here is our list of the 6 best dog kennels in Dubai.
Dubai Kennels and Cattery (DKC)
With 30 years of experience under their belt, DKC claim to provide the extra care and attention to pets that will make them feel like they too are on vacation. Started as a small business in the then remote part of Dubai known as Umm Ramool, DKC has now expanded their facilities to include all kinds of treats for their pets including a yard for exercise, a lounge with couches and sofas where social animals can…well socialize with other pets and the kennattery where dogs and cats accustomed to staying together can do so. The staff at DKC are open with their customers about the services they provide and encourage owners to visit the facility and chat with them about any concerns they might have. They also advise booking in advance, as soon as vacation dates are finalized to ensure that they can serve every owner who wants to board their pets with them, particularly during holiday periods when they quickly get busy!
Established in 2007 by a British expat living in Dubai, Homely Petz provide an alternative to pet boarding by providing a variety of in-home services for owners who prefer to keep their pets in the comfort of their homes for the duration of their vacation. Their services include pet-sitting, pet walking, puppy and dog training, pet care for special needs pets and dealing with pet behavior issues all from the comfort of home. Homely Petz has an extensive database of registered pet sitters whose services can be hired for a fee. Owners can look through the database, select a sitter they are comfortable with and request their services for a day, a week, a weekend or a month. They even provide a maid support pet sit service where the maid has access to 24-hour emergency phone support and can be connected to a pet sitter in case of any unforeseen emergency, providing owners with an additional safety net when on vacation.
Sighting personal care and dedication in a luxurious setting as the cornerstone of their service, Pet Palace is designed with your pet’s comfort as priority. Dogs are kept in spacious areas with comfortable beds, are exercised every few hours in plush green run areas, have their living areas cleaned four times a day and get playtime with a dedicated staff member. As with other reputable boarding kennels, Pet Palace does get full quickly, particularly during the holidays so early booking is strongly recommended.
Paws Pet Planet
Primarily a dog grooming and daycare service, PPP has also begun offering overnight boarding services for their customers. Dogs that are accepted for boarding will be required to undergo an assessment to ensure that they can cope with daycare. Dogs will be kept in daycare throughout the day and will be kenneled only during the nights. One of the biggest advantages of boarding your pet with Paws Pet Planet is access to the 7000 square feet of outdoor park area that dogs can frolic in off-leash. Of course this is subject to several conditions that are listed on the PPP website.
Urban Tail Pet Resort
Akin to a seven star hotel, this one-of-a-kind pet resort boasts luxury pet ‘suites’ designed to keep your pet in the lap of luxury while their owners are away. Suites at Urban Tails have raised beds for comfort and special epoxy flooring with an advance ventilation system to minimize germs and odors; the rooms also have a view and overlook indoor gardens with fountains and green areas. Pet quarters are cleaned regularly while pets are boarded and undergo deep cleaning in between stays to ensure the most hygienic of living conditions. With an 8:1 staff to pet ratio, pets are ensured daily individual cuddling and playtime to make them feel more loved.
Envisioned more as a holiday camp rather than a boarding facility for animals, Posh Paws is located on a lush green farm with paddling pools, communal areas, tunnels and toys aimed at entertaining pets and keeping them occupied, interested and engaged in fun. Each of the facility’s 102 kennels has its own small private shaded garden which overlooks the farm. Pricing for boarding is based on the size of the dog; dogs are fed on a fixed diet provided by the kennel, but they also cater to special dietary requests for an additional charge.